Statement of Purpose
We the members of the Church of Christ who meet at 4401 W. Broadway Street in Louisville, Kentucky 40211 are striving to maintain New Testament Christianity in every aspect. As a spiritual family of God, we should have all things in common: when one grieves, we all should grieve; when one rejoices, we all should rejoice. Our love, concern and affection should always be pure and genuine toward one another. As a family, we should be closely knitted together with kindness, gentleness, and humility in all conversation. Let us strive toward perfection.
This program of work is an informative aid to assist members of this local congregation of the plan of work we plan to do in an orderly manner. This will provide for better lines of communication thus promoting us to exhibit more love, good works and encouragement to one another.
We always want to thank God for our spiritual and physical blessings. God has given us a work to do and that is to bring the lost to Christ. Let each of us fulfill that responsibility. Let's give God our best!
Don Brown, Ollie R. Moore, Sr., June Pack, Fred Shelton
Melvin Spencer, Jr.
Local Work History
We are relying on some of our older members for the history of this local congregation. We all know that our memory is not always reliable so there is a possibility that some of the data may be incorrect.
In 1929, Golena Vinson began worshipping at the Burnett Avenue Church of Christ located at Hancock and Burnett Avenue. This congregation is said to be the mother of all black congregations in the Louisville area. The minister during this time was G.P. Bowser. There was only a handful of members such as Bro. Mosby, Bro. and Sis. Henry Shelman, Bro. and Sis. Evans Vinson, Bro. and Sis. Bowser, Sis. Mary Taylor, Bro. and Sis. Edwards, Sis. Thomas and Bro. Henry Cook.
After Bro. Bowser departed the city, W.F. Adams became the minister and labored with the congregation for many years. Every fourth Lord's Day, Bro. Adams would journey to Terre Haute, Indiana to preach. Bro. James Caviness, Bro. Ball and Bro. Henry Cook would preach in his absence.
In 1959 to 1963, F.O. White was the minister. When he departed in 1963, Randell Halloway took on part-time minister until Ralph Reece became the full-time minister in 1964. It was during his ministry in October 1969, we moved to the building located at 4401 West Broadway. Bro. Reece labored with us for five and half years and left in August 1970.
Edward Rhodes became our part-time minister and labored with us approximately 3 years. Chester Trowel Sr. and Sidney Shanks Sr. shared as part-time ministers until the hiring of Harry Persaud in 1977. Thenoplis Cook Sr. and Chester Trowel Sr. were ordained elders. Richard Curry and Alphonso Cook Sr. were also appointed deacons. On December 9, 1979, the eldership was dissolved due to the resignation of Thenoplis Cook Sr. At this time, we had approximately 50-60 members.
On September 2, 1980, the mortgage was paid in full and Bro. Persaud labored with us for one more year. Upon his departure, Sidney Shanks Sr. and Thenoplis Cook Sr. shared as part-time ministers. In November, 1982, we had 91 members.
Sidney Shanks Sr. became the full-time minister in February 1983. Alphonso Cook Sr., June Pack, and Fred Shelton Sr. were ordained elders on April 29, 1984. Membership had grown to 101. In September 1996, the name "West End" was deleted from the name of this local work. We were then known as the Church of Christ at 4401 West Broadway St.
On October 4, 1987, Sidney Shanks Sr. appointed Don Brown and Clifford Thomas Sr. deacons, thus making the church scripturally organized. Clifford Thomas Sr. resigned from the office as deacon due to personal reasons in October, 1994. As of January 1, 1995, the congregation had elders but didn't have deacons. Membership was 102. The congregation remained without deacons from 1994 until January 10, 1999. Don Brown and Robert Colbert Sr. were appointed deacons, thereby making the church scripturally organized once again. Alphonso Cook Sr. resigned from the office of elder in June 1999.
Sidney Shanks Sr. preached part-time from 1973 to 1977 with Chester Trowel Sr. and from 1981 to 1983 with Thenoplis Cook Sr. Sidney was full time minister from February 1983 to July 29, 2001 when he retired as full time minister because of his health and the advice of his physician. He was a direct product of the Hancock and Burnett Ave. Church of Christ. Donald K. Wright Jr. from Akron, Ohio became the full time minister on August 1, 2001. Ollie R. Moore, Sr. was ordained as an elder on March 28, 2004.
When the location of the church (West End) was no longer used in identifying the church, there was a lot of confusion among the brethren of local congregations as to which Church of Christ was being referenced to when they received flyers about upcoming gospel meetings. It was decided that the location would be placed back to eliminate the confusion. In January 2006, we were again identified as the West End Church of Christ.
On August 23, 2009 Don Brown was ordained as an elder, changing the eldership from three to four. As of this date we no longer have deacons.
On December 30, 2012, Bro. Donald Wright left for another work in Akron, Ohio. Bro. Melvin Spencer, Jr. from Longview, Texas became the full time minister on March 31, 2013.
The congregation also hosts a 30 minute radio program four days a week on WLLV 1240 am.